Mental Health is a subject that should be treated equal to physical health, and just as physical First Aid, Mental Health First Aid should be kept up to date. Working conditions and environment can have a huge impact on mental health, and, equally, someone’s mental health can significantly affect performing well in their job. So it is important to have nominated staff members who have the knowledge and skills to spot signs of people experiencing poor mental health, be confident to start a conversation and signpost a person to appropriate professional support.
Roles and Responsibilities for a First Aider for Mental Health:
- A point of contact for anyone experiencing a mental health problem
- Identifying the signs and symptoms of mental ill health
- Start supportive conversations
- Listen non-judgementally and provide reassurance
- Assess the risk of self-harm and suicide
- Signpost and encourage professional support
- Reduce mental health stigma
- Summon for the appropriate emergency services if necessary
- Maintain confidentiality
Our First Aid for Mental Health trainer comes from a very strong background having worked in the public and private sector dealing with both physical and mental health. We understand the importance of Mental Health, and you will see this during the course.
Successful completion of this course delegates will be provided with a Level 2 Award in First Aid for Mental Health certificate through NUCO accreditation. NUCO have been around since December 1998 with their ability to offer a range of Ofqual and SQA Regulated qualifications at Levels 1, 2 and 3 in First Aid, Food Safety, Health & Safety, Safeguarding and Mental. Each NUCO certification has an expiry of 3 years so delegates will be required to attend a requalification after the 3 years expiry date.
To discuss your training requirements please call us now on 01902 862777.