To provide candidates with practical and theoretical knowledge in order for them to undertake the role of slinger/signaller.
The course is aimed at operators who are required to undertake slinging and signaling for the movement of loads using lifting equipment. Candidates may be new to the role or may be those with limited experience and no formal training.
Following successful completion of the course candidates will be able to select the correct lifting accessories, attach them to loads safely and guide the load using the appropriate hand signals.
- Legislation ‐ LOLER, PUWER, HASAWA
- Codes of practice ‐ BS7121
- Roles and responsibilities of personnel involved with lifting operations
- Documentation and certification for lifting equipment and lifting accessories
- Lifting accessories
- Types of accessories and use
- Slinging techniques
- Down rating of accessories
- Sling angles
- Establishing load weight and centre of gravity
- Proximity hazards
- Selecting lifting accessories
- Verifying documentation and certification
- Attaching accessories to different loads
- Signalling for the lifting, transferring and positioning of loads
- Safe use of radios